Friday 2 July 2010

North up the Sound of Jura








Day 61
Friday 2nd July
The weather forecast is improved for today. Southerly F4/5, occ 6. We can live with that as we wish to go north. The people in a Colvic Atlanta next door but one are doing the same, so we'll go together. Islay has been very good. It casts a spell. Perhaps because the people are so relaxed and welcoming.
We left at 11.00 and motorsailed out inside the Island Texa and past the three great distilleries of Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg. There was very little tide and the sea was not rough. We kept station past the Sound of Islay and the Small Isles but at the lighthouse on Skervuile I decided to pass to starboard as the water was deeper and I felt the tide would be more helpful. It worked, and Pepsand left the larger boat somewhat behind. Heading for Ardfern Yacht Centre, my track diverged from theirs, and we radioed our goodbyes as they kept to the western side of the Sound of Jura whilst I slanted across to the eastern, deeper side. It certainly gave me better water, and they were gradually left behind. By 15.00 the tide was helping us to maintain well over 7kt groundspeed. The wind was not as strong as forecast, being mainly f4 with occasional f5. Alright by me. A front was clearly overtaking us, and at about 16.00 I donned wet weather gear and prepared for rain. This did not happen until we were in Loch Craignish and approaching Ardfern, and it lasted only a few minutes. Passing Crinan we saw several yachts coming and going. At Ardfern the staff had knocked off by the time we arrived at 18.30. Once tied up, a meal of roast pork, etc. was prepared and consumed . As I was washing up, Roy arrived. He was on the opposite pontoon at Port Ellen. As I took his lines he said the Frenchmen who were next to me there were also on their way. They arrived about half an hour later. After a shower and shave I was delighted to find that Ardfern is a BT Wifi hotspot, so e-mails and blogging are possible. The forecast for the next few days is not too good. I am pleased to be within easy striking distance of Oban.

No comments:

Post a Comment